Interlibrary loans allow you to request items - books, journal articles, videos, and more - that UFV does not make available through its collections. Please review the policies below on what may and may not be requested through interlibrary loan.
Interlibrary Loan Policies
The following guidelines describe the general limits on interlibrary loan services from the UFV Library:
- You must be a registered borrower with the UFV Library and eligible for interlibrary loan services, i.e., current student, current or retired staff or faculty, or alumni with current alumni card. ILL services are not available to community borrowers - please see your local public library.
- The UFV Library places limits on the number of subsidized (i.e., "free") ILL requests.
- The requested materials must be items required for UFV-related research, employment or course work. Materials deemed to be of general interest, or for hobbies or genealogical research, will be assessed a non-refundable fee of $10.00 per request.
- We do not borrow the following materials:
- items already in UFV's collection (even if currently in use);
- entire volumes or issues of a journal or magazine;
- books published within the last 12 months;
- reference materials, textbooks, or sound recordings;
- rare, valuable, or fragile items; or
- items that are difficult or expensive to ship.
- Interlibrary loan requests are subject to copyright restrictions; in accordance with fair dealing rights within the Copyright Act (R.S.C. c. C-42 as amended), UFV limits photocopies to no more than 10% of a published work or one journal article per issue.
Delivery time varies depending on the item. Most journal articles and book chapters are scanned copies and arrive within 3 business days; physical items will take longer, as they rely on snail mail. Always allow sufficient time.
When your item arrives at UFV you will be notified by email. If the item is a journal article or book chapter, a link to the item will be embedded in the email message.
Picking up Interlibrary Loan Items
Please bring your library card to the circulation desk to collect your item(s).
The due date for items is 3 weeks from the date you are notified by email. Interlibrary loan items may not be renewed. Overdue fines are $2 per day.